In this guide, we will see how to backup and restore GPU preference settings for apps on Windows 11. Does your computer have two GPUs, an integrated and a dedicated GPU? If so, you can quickly switch between the GPUs depending on the app’s requirements.
Windows stores the GPU preference for each app in the registry. This ensures that you can quickly restore the old GPU settings if something goes wrong with your new GPU preference settings for the app. So, let’s look at how to backup and restore GPU preferences for apps in Windows 11.
How to Backup and Restore GPU Preference Settings for Apps in Windows 11
It’s very easy to backup and restore GPU preference settings for apps in Windows 11. Let’s check out how to do it.
How to Backup GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 11
To backup GPU preferences for apps in Windows 11, follow these steps:
- Press Win + R key to open the Run tool, type regedit in the search bar, and press Enter.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the below location:
- Right-click the UserGpuPreferences key in the left sidebar, and choose Export from the context menu.
- Choose the location where you want to backup the GPU preferences.
- Give a proper name to the .reg file and click Save.
And that’s about. You’ve successfully created a backup of app GPU preferences.
How to Restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 11
Follow the steps below to restore app GPU preferences using the backed-up reg file.
- Head towards the location where you have backed up the app’s GPU preferences.
- Double-click the backup file and click Yes to UAC that crops up.
- Click Yes to the Registry Editor prompt that appears.
That’s it. You have successfully restored the GPU preferences for your apps.
How do I remove apps from graphics settings?
To remove apps from graphics settings, press Win + I to open the Settings app, choose System from the left sidebar, and Display from the right pane. Then, click on Graphics. In the Custom options for apps section, select the app you want to remove from graphics settings and click the Remove button.
How do I change the graphics preferences in Windows 10?
To change the graphics preferences in Windows 10, open the Settings app and navigate to System > Display > Graphics. In the Custom options for apps section, select the app whose graphics preferences you want to change, click Option, choose the graphics preference, and then click Save.