Windows Updates are an essential feature that keeps the Windows OS updated with the latest security patches, bug fixes, and feature updates. However, many users encounter bugs and errors while updating their Windows devices. One such error is the Windows Update Error 0x80070002. Keep reading this post to learn how you can fix it.
How can I fix Windows Update Error 0x80070002?
To fix the Windows Update error 0x80070002, reset Windows update components and install the updates manually. Other than that, follow these suggestions:
1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is a built-in utility in Windows devices that helps users fix update-related errors. Running this troubleshooter can automatically scan and fix update errors. Here’s how you can run it:
- Click the Start button and select Settings.
- Here, navigate to System > Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshooters.
- Here, click on Run beside Windows Update.
2. Restart the Windows Update Service
The Windows Update Service keeps the Windows OS and other related softwares updated. Restarting the service can help fix the Windows Update Error 0x80070002. Doing so will clear cache data related to the service and reset it to its default state. Here’s how:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Here, type Services.msc and hit Enter.
- Once the Services window opens, scroll down and search for Windows Update Service.
- Right-click on the service and select Restart.
3. Clear Space using Disk Cleanup
Your Windows device may not have enough space to install the updates. If so, clear some space using the Disk Cleanup tool. Here’s how:
- Hit the Start button, search Disk Cleanup, and hit Enter.
- Once Disk Cleanup opens, select the files you want to delete and select Clean up system files.
- Disk Cleanup will now calculate how much space you can clear by deleting this file.
- Once done, it’ll show the amount of space to be cleared after deleting the file. Click on OK to confirm.
- Restart your device once the selected files are deleted and see if the Windows Update Error 0x80070002 is fixed.
4. Reset Windows Update Components
Windows Update Components are files responsible for downloading and installing Windows updates. These files can get corrupted and cause update-related errors. Resetting the update components can help fix the 0x80070002 Windows Update Error. Here’s how:
- Launch Command Prompt as an Admin.
- Type the following commands one at a time and hit Enter:
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
- Restart your device once done and see if the updates are getting installed.
5. Delete temporary update files
Temporary files are created during downloading and installing updates. Sometimes, these can get corrupted and cause update errors. Delete these files and see if the error’s fixed. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Services, search for Windows Update Service, and disable it.
- Now, open the File Explorer and navigate to the following path:
- In the Download folder, delete all the files.
- Again, open Services and enable Windows Update Service.
- Restart your device and see if the Windows Update Error 0x80070002.
6. Install Windows Updates Manually
If these suggestions didn’t help, consider installing Windows Updates manually. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the Microsoft Update Catalog in your preferred browser.
- Type the KB number of the update to be downloaded in the search bar.
- Click the Download button next to the update you want to download. Doing so will open a new window with a download link to the update.
- Click on the link to download the file.
- Once the update file is downloaded, double-click on the file to begin the installation.
How do I fix Update error 0x80070002?
To fix the Windows update error 0x80070002, reset Windows Update Components and delete temporary update files. However, if that doesn’t help, try installing the updates manually using Microsoft Update Catalog.
What is error 0x80070002 in SCCM Windows Update?
The error code 0x80070002 in SCCM Windows Update indicates that the system cannot find the specified file. This usually occurs when SCCM cannot find the required file or if the file gets corrupted.